« Home | The Wet Bandit » | Got My Eye On You » | Causing A Stir » | Watch This » | Smokin Aces » | Alright » | Chapter 2: Regroup » | Chapter 1: Discovery » | Halo: Retribution » | Pre-amble » 

4/07/2007 

The Sporting Hierarchy

April is a great month. For one, the weather starts to get nice and the days become longer. More importantly, April is the month when virtually every pro-sport is in session. The MLB season opens, the NHL is starting its post-season, not that anyone cares but also the NBA is nearing its post-season and the PGA has its first major event, The Masters. The only sport not in session is the NFL, but they have their draft in April so its not like they're dormant.

With all the success the Sabres are having right now, everyone and their mother fancies themselves a hockey fan and proclaims it to be the greatest sport on earth. Hockey is fun, don't get me wrong. I love the game, I play the game and I'm not here to bash. What I am here to do is lay out the sporting hierarchy.

1. The NFL
Professional football is the best sport to play and watch, hands down. Its season length, rules and league structure are perfect. 16 games per regular season, 1 game a week per team. Its violent, competitive and unpredictable and every game matters.

2. The NHL
My only gripe with hockey is that the season is just too long. 80+ games stretching from something like October to June with teams playing multiple times a week. Its just too much. If a team loses a couple games in a row it doesn't really mean anything. Whereas in the NFL, you lose back to back games more than once and you might as well kiss your playoff dreams goodbye. I really can't get into hockey until playoff time. Hockey's playoff atmosphere is very exciting but its usually most of the same teams in the playoffs every year.

3. PGA
Say what you want about watching golf on TV but I love it. The Masters is on this week and admittedly I haven't seen as much as I would like. But the the final round on Sunday at a major is pretty much an unmatched experience. The downside is there's only 4 majors per year and most times the big name stars only play a handful of the normal tour events. And playing golf is also awesome, I've already logged 9-holes so far.

4. The MLB
Pretty much the same boat as hockey only its season is double that of the NHL. 180+ games with the season going from April to October. Again, can only really watch it come playoff time and with Buffalo not having a team its hard to get into it that much, despite the fact I played the game nearly all my life and I love it.

99. The NBA
Basketball just sucks. Put it this way, I'll watch/play almost any other sport over basketball with the possible exception of soccer, unless its chicks soccer.
More on that here.